Wednesday, January 18, 2012

50 cent yard sale eye-sore!

So, I know I haven't posted in a while, but it's not that I haven't been doing any projects. Really. I've just gotten out of the habit of blogging so here's to hopefully getting back on track for 2012...yay!

And yes, you read that right. I got this lovely, rusty eye-sore for less than a dollar at a neighborhood yard sale about 2 months ago. Then it just sat in the garage for several weeks, all depressed looking...


...until one day when I was in the garage working on another project (the thrifted art deco desk peaking in the back that you'll see in a future post). I once again lost my focus and started working on this puppy. The first thing I had to do was scrape off the white chipped paint from the racks. So I grabbed the nearest tool that looked like it would scrape off the paint, a garden spade. :)


All of that white, rusty paint got pretty messy!


So I scraped paint for about 10 minutes or so and then it was time for some spray paint. Spray paint projects are definitely my fave because they take very little time, usually, and they give you instant gratification! After a few light coats of Oil Rubbed Bronze spray and overnight drying, the once eye-sore found it's new home in the hall bath.


Turns out the baskets are the perfect size to hold toilet paper... who knew? And I really like the industrial look of it - it balances out the other decor mentioned here. Kinda reminds me of something from Restoration Hardware. I'm sure it will move around the house when I find new places to use it, but for now I kinda like it in here.

As for the wicker basket that once held the title of toilet paper holder, it now resides in the living room holding all of our cuddly blankets within an arm's reach. :)

Total cost for this project = around $4.50. Not too shabby, huh? Has anyone else found any steals at yard sales, thrift stores, etc...? Or had fun with spray paint projects?

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment or become a follower of my blog! Thanks so much!