Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Master Bath: Sink skirt

I'm not sure if I've told you yet but I got a sewing machine and free sewing lessons for my birthday! (both from my mom) This mini-project was my first test of actually making something for our casa by myself. :) I decided to cover up the ugly pipes under the sink in our master bath with a sink skirt, just like I did in the guest bath. Remember, this one:

Sink skirts are perfect for concealing a trash can.

It was very easy and took around 30-45 minutes from start to finish. First, I measured the length around the sink so I would know the width for my fabric. Then, of course, I measured the height. I added 2 inches to the height and width so I could use a 1/2 seam on each side.

Just to give you a refresher course, this is the sink in our master bath. It's hard to tell in this photo but the pipes are exposed underneath and I finally got tired of looking at them!


So I whipped up this sink skirt and now it looks like this:


Much better on the eyes, don't you think? Total cost for this project = around $5. The only thing I had to purchase was the velcro because I found the fabric in my mom's collection. I bought the heavy duty sticky-back kind from Hancock's and it was 50% off. Yay. I stuck the hook (rough side) to the sink and sewed a band of the loop (soft side) to the top of the skirt. That way when I need to wash it, lint won't stick to the velcro. :)

Happy Tuesday!

3 comments:

  1. Will you please teach me how to sew?! :-) I want to re-learn. I feel like there should be a group project or something! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I don't think you want me to teach you... I have to call my mom before I make anything! Maybe we can re-learn together, with a bottle of wine! :)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment or become a follower of my blog! Thanks so much!