Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mini bathroom makeover

I was trying to think of what to write my next post about when I looked through all of my previous ones and realized I haven't posted about the bathroom yet. We've done no major renovations in here but it still deserves some love! This little room has gone through several different looks but I only have pictures of how it looked when we moved in and how it looks now. Sigh. So here is how it looked day 1:


Not a great photo but it's all I have. Basically this room has the lovely 50s yellow tiled walls (yes I'm being sarcastic because, who am I kidding, this isn't my ideal finish in a bathroom), a blue/ grey-ish tiled floor, and linen closet along with your basic necessities for a bathroom. Oh yeah, there is also a cute little built-in bookshelf in the wall where an old heater once lived. And that was my first house purchase on the floor- a bath mat that I absolutely fell in love with/ ordered from Anthropologie 4 years ago. I hated to part with it, but having 2 big dogs, the base color of it being white, and it being "dry clean only,"it very quickly lost it's awesomeness...

So while this bathroom doesn't have some of my favorite design choices and we're not really going to renovate, I've learned that sometimes you just have to embrace the vintageness- yellow tile and all. Here are some bathrooms that I ooh and ahh over:

This is a half bath but I love the floors, exposed painted brick, and sink

I absolutely love the wainscoting on the walls, especially with the thick ledge/ molding. Loving that bold color too! :)

When we first moved in we painted the walls a crisp white and brought in a blue and white patterned shower curtain. It worked for a while, but if you know me, you know I can tire of decor pretty easily. Next, we tried painting the walls a darker blue that had a grey tint- to coordinate with the floor. We kept it this color for a while- not because we liked it (I never thought it looked good and I picked the color) but because I really dreaded painting over it. It turned out to be more of a navy color and I knew it would be a nightmare to cover.

Well fast-forward to a few weeks ago. I finally got motivated to fix this bathroom once and for all. Now that it's over, I can say I'm glad I did it! After much deliberation, I, with a lot of input from the hubs, finally decided on the color Silver Dusk by Valspar. It's got just a tint of light blue and looks really nice with the yellow and blue in the tile.



I use the Valspar Signature which contains primer, and this is how it looked with one coat. Yes, it's definitely going to take more!



After 2 more coats of paint, for a total of 3, this is how it looked. I also hung a 96" white shower curtain and some curtains using oil rubbed bronze hardware and picked up this new bathmat from Target. The curtains were actually the previous shower curtain in here, but with the help of my crafty mom, we found a new use for the fabric.  


And here is the rest of the old shower curtain! I love sink skirts!:) They look great while concealing old pipes and they provide hidden space for a trash can!



Hanging on the wall is an old cabinet door that I found in the farmhouse where my dad grew up. I painted the surface with chalkboard paint and hung it on the cabinet hinges.


Here is a closer view:


There is also a linen closet in here that's adjacent to the door, creating a closed-off feel if you try to open both doors. I weighed my options for a while and finally decided to remove the door entirely to create an open linen closet. (Stay tuned to see where that door went) Yes, this means that I have to keep it super organized, but I'm up for the challenge:) Here's the unorganized version post door removal:




After removing the door in here, I used some wood filler to fill in the holes where the brackets once were. I let this dry for a couple of hours before repainting the molding.





While the wood filler was drying/ setting, I decided to go ahead and start painting the inside of the closet. I wanted to continue the light blue color on the walls so the first step was to remove all of the shelves and clean. It might be hard to tell a difference in these pictures, but it's a before/after shot.

Before- with white walls

After with light blue walls
I also decided to give the floor of the closet a fresh look- I didn't feel bad painting hardwood since it had already been painted white.

Before with dirty white floors

And now for the after pictures of the new organized, door-less linen closet!

I like that there's no longer a door right when you walk in :)

See the small wicker basket on the floor holding cleaning supplies- remember I scored that here for less than $1!




The last thing we Matthew added in here was a new light fixture. After finding one at Lowe's, I went to yoga one Saturday morning and when I returned home, he was almost finished hanging it! Talking about spoiling a girl- I didn't even have to ask him to spend his Saturday morning hanging a new light! :)  Sorry for the lack of a photo- just picture it with some clear glass shades.



So there is the mini-makeover of our hall bath. Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment or become a follower of my blog! Thanks so much!