Friday, May 6, 2011

Change- when we least expect it...

...and when it's out of our control. It's hard to believe that it's been over 2 weeks since my last post. So much has been going on around our town and state that blogging was the last thing on my mind. All of you probably know that on April 27, tornadoes ripped through the state of Alabama taking lives and leaving many without their home or belongings. It is a day that no one will ever forget- especially if you live in an area that was damaged. Our beloved Tuscaloosa was one of these areas along with Hackleburg, in Marion County. I have yet to see Hackleburg in person, but throughout high school, we traveled here for ballgames and to see the pictures of what is left of this small town- hardly anything- is just unbelievable and heart-breaking.


This day of severe weather struck as close to home as it ever has. Matthew didn't work that day because a series of morning storms blew 2 trees on his office and left it with no power. I'm so glad he was at home with me. These morning storms also knocked out our city's warning system- that's why we didn't have a warning sounding throughout the city. UA did not close early and since I work non-traditional hours, I took my "lunch break" around 3:30. That's about the time that James Spann said a nasty storm was headed toward Tuscaloosa.

I got home in time to watch a little bit, although we were thinking it might go toward Northport instead of where we live. Living in an old house, built in the 50s, we don't have a basement or storm cellar like we do at my parents' house. We thought about designating our "safe place" in the hallway since that's the only room in our house with no windows. However, we have an attic fan in the hall which probably weighs a ton, so maybe that wouldn't be the best idea. We finally decided on the bathtub. So while we're watching the news, I go ahead and put some blankets and pillows in the bathtub, just in case.

I guess it was right around the time that James Spann said for everyone that lived in the city of Tuscaloosa to get in a safe place, that our power flickered for a few seconds and then went out completely. So we head to the bathroom, put the dogs in the tub, and then we get in. And just so you remember, Dodger weighs about 90 lbs. and Waylon is around 35 lbs. so it was a pretty tight fit in the tub! Then we just waited. Luckily I was getting texts from my 2 sisters who were able to watch the news and send me updates so I kinda knew the general direction it was heading- too close to use.

After this day, I can finally say that I've heard a tornado- not that I've ever wanted to be able to say that! When people would describe it as sounding like a train, I would usually think to myself, a train?? But yeah, that's exactly what it sounds like! We are so fortunate and blessed that our house/ neighborhood received no major damage. While this storm went by pretty quickly, it left a trail of heartbreak and devastation.

A house in our cul de sac

Holt area

Holt again

Intersection of McFarland and 15th Street

Again...

Devastation

Oak trees at Snow Hinton Park- across from our house
These are just some of the photos I took on my phone- by far these are not the worst! I spent last Saturday in some of the hardest hit areas- Forest Lake and Rosedale Court- but could not bring myself to take pictures of other people's misery. Alberta City is being considered ground zero and I've yet to see it in person.

It's amazing to see how this town and state have come together in volunteer efforts- we cleared debris on Saturday with someone who drove up from Dothan and delivered MREs, water, and toiletries to the Rosedale area. However, this is going to be a long process so volunteers will be needed for weeks and months. My heart goes out to anyone who suffered any type of loss on this day.

I do plan to continue my blog as normal, but I had to first describe the heartache and devastation that is present in our state.

Stay tuned for your regular scheduled program :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment or become a follower of my blog! Thanks so much!