Friday, May 27, 2011

New towel bin

You may remember from a previous post that our master bathroom is extremely tiny, so we don't really have any floor space for a cabinet to hold towels, toiletries, etc... Well I had an old metal bin in the garage that my mom saved for me when she was cleaning. It was rusty, lifeless, and not much to look at. But it was very sturdy and in good shape, besides the rust. I was having a spray paint party yesterday for some picture frames that I picked up from the thrift store. Remember, I'm wanting to spruce up my gallery wall to something like these:



Anyway, I was out in the garage painting my frames and saw the old metal bin. I decided to show him some love and give him a fresh coat of primer/paint- a dark gray, almost charcoal color. It turned out pretty well so I was thinking about what I could use it for. Then it hit me! I could roll up our white bath towels and put them in here, since they were currently stacked in the floor. I thought it would be a useful and appealing way to store the towels.



So my original plan was to put my new towel bin under the sink because I'm going to make a sink skirt like the one I made here for the guest bathroom. But I didn't want anything taking up floor space, since it's already very limited. I got Matthew to come hold it against the wall to see how it would look hanging and I actually liked it! So I threw 2 nails on the wall and hung my new towel bin!


I had to hang it low enough so that we could actually reach the towels and this left too much empty space above. I tried visualizing a picture above it but I didn't really have anything at home to use. Then I remembered I had a bunch of driftwood leftover from my spring mantel project, so I went out to the garage and grabbed 2 somewhat similar pieces. Of course, I didn't want to put any nails in the wall for what would probably just be a temporary solution so I used some good ole' duct tape to hold these babies! They're actually very light because they're hollow so it did the trick for now.


So that's how it looks for now. I may decide later that I hate it and take it down, who knows?! I'm currently shopping for a new shower curtain, bath mat, and fabric to use for a sink skirt and curtains. Here are 2 shower curtains that I'm considering:




We'll see and I'll keep you updated! What do you think of the hanging towel bin?

1 comment:

  1. Such a cute idea! I love the way using wire baskets as storage looks, there's something so clean and fresh about it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment or become a follower of my blog! Thanks so much!