Friday, May 20, 2011

Tell me what's the word-

ah word up wordle! Yeah, I'm bringing back the 90s, haha!  And that will definitely make more sense later on in the post. :)

Happy Friday everyone! I hope you've had a fantabulous week! This week has led to 2 new addictions for me: Pinterest (love) and Wordle. Pinterest is like a virtual pinboard —  you can create collections of things you love and "follow" collections created by people with great taste. It's just amazing and full of ideas and inspiration! My username is mkd2137 if you want to check it out:)

Here are 2 of my pins that I'm just oohing and ahhing over. Definitely want to create something like this!



I just love gallery walls! If you remember from my post of our living room, I currently have small one, but I just like these a little better:) I think mine looks a little stuffy.



So what I'm thinking, is that I need to add a bunch more frames! I'm also thinking of painting my existing frames white and buying more white ones. All of my pictures now are black/white, which I do love, but I want to add some color! And I don't want everything to be family photos- I'm going to mix in some other prints as well. Enter Wordle...

I had used wordle when I was teaching but had kinda forgotten about it until recently.You can use Wordle to create word clouds from text. You can tweak your clouds with different fonts, layouts, and color schemes and then you can print them out, or save them to the Wordle gallery to share with your friends.

So I decided to make one for one of our favorite places- New Orleans! Matthew and I have been together so many times and also with friends and we always have a blast! (that's also where we went for my bachelorette party) We love everything about that city- the food, drinks, music, stinky Bourbon Street, you get the idea... Not to mention, Matthew has been a Saints fan since he could talk- I carried him to a Saints game for our 2nd Christmas together when they played the Falcons in Nola. So, anywho, I wanted to DIY some art to show our love for that city.

In Wordle, you just type in what you want in your word cloud. The more times you enter the same text, the larger it will appear. Example: I typed "bourbon street" 4 times and everything else was typed 1-3 times, so "bourbon street" is the largest. Make sense? It's fun to just play around with the different fonts, colors, and layouts too. This one is similar to the one I printed. Of course this is just a print screen view so when you actually print it, it doesn't have the toolbars.


 

So once I buy some new white frames, I'm going to add some color splash to the gallery wall using prints like this . 

What do you think? Has anyone used Wordle to DIY art?

2 comments:

  1. Oh fun, good to know about Wordle. Fun. I search Pinterest a lot and enjoy it, but I can't seem to get an invite. I keep asking for one, but haven't gotten one. Don't you have to have one in order to start pinning or am I wrong? Thanks so much for your comment on my blog, by the way!! Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and yes, Wordle is lots of fun! To get a Pinterest account, I requested an invite and it took several days, maybe even a couple of weeks, to get an email confirmation. Hope you receive it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment or become a follower of my blog! Thanks so much!