Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Lovin' the doors!

So this post is about 2 months late but it's one of those I just forgot about. Probably because it took place about a week before the tornado and just got lost in the shuffle my brain. Our little house was sold to us as a 3 bedroom, but when we tried selling it last year, our realtor said we couldn't list it as that because the 3rd bedroom was just a walk-through room from the hallway to the kitchen. It had no doors or closets. Here it is when we moved in- sorry for the lack of a better picture:


The left side has the doorway to the hall and the right side has the doorway to the kitchen. This room is the bigger of the 3 bedrooms and it has a fireplace, so it definitely is great to work with! First, we painted it a sage color- can't remember the name but it's just very natural and neutral. The previous owners had added a cheap shelving solution on each side of the fireplace which we used in the beginning for books, dvds, a bar, etc... We finally decided to turn those into 2 closets and use floor-to-ceiling length curtains for closet doors. This was a pretty cheap project because we only had to buy 2 short closet rods from HD- I think they cost around $6 each, and 2 96" curtain panels on sale from World Market, and 2 tension rods.



So we had the closets taken care of- now we just needed some doors! I knew exactly what I wanted but had to convince the hubby. I wanted to hang single french doors but he thought there would be a privacy issue. I assured him that we could simply hang shades on the doors to provide privacy for our not-so-frequent guests. I didn't want to hang slab doors because I was afraid it would close off the flow too much.

View from the kitchen to the third room
View from the hallway into the third room
I finally convinced Matthew to go with the glass-paned doors but he doesn't own the necessary tools to hang a door, insert knobs, etc... nor does he have the time right now. I felt that this project was just a little out of my league so enter a friend/ contractor. He and his partner spent pretty much a whole day at the house hanging these doors and working on a few other small projects! Here is what they left us with:





I was so excited to finally have these doors- I have wanted them since we moved in! We went with the oil rubbed bronze hardware and I LOVE it! So I guess that means I need to change out the doorknobs on the other doors, haha!

Thankfully, these doors come with plastic over the glass inserts! This definitely helped the painting process, which was a little too tedious for me, but I got er' done in an afternoon. 2 coats of paint on each side of each door = too much painting, even for me! Here's how they looked with the plastic still on:



And now for the afters! I recruited the hubby to help me take off the plastic wrap from each insert, which saved a little time. Although it was some hard work, and a little more costly since we had someone hang them for us, I am very happy with the results!!





Hopefully I'll be changing those out curtains out soon because we're expecting a new arrival for this room! No, we're not having a baby, but we are getting this soon:


Yep, we're waiting for the arrival of our new Window Daybed from West Elm. It was a gift from my mother-in-law! We actually ordered it in March but it's been on backorder:( It's supposed to be back in stock next Friday. So I'm wanting to change out the decor in this room a little- starting with the curtains. This is the room we plan to use for a nursery when the time comes, so at least we're getting a jump start on it! I haven't really decided on the colors/ decor yet, but I'll let ya know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment or become a follower of my blog! Thanks so much!