Monday, May 14, 2012

Nursery Update #1

Back in this post here, I thought I had figured out how I would want the nursery to look if we were having a girl. Well, if you know me, you know my mind has changed several times since finding out! The mind-change mainly started because of cost - that fabulous fabric would cost almost $100 just to make 2 panels to use for the two closets and that Anthropologie rug... well $400 seemed a little steep for something that she would eventually/ probably, draw on, spit up on, poop on, etc... Gotta be realistic, right?! :)

Oh, and we were going to try to use an old dresser for the changing table that belongs to Matthew's dad. But once we got it home, we decided that it wasn't big enough and would require much more work than we originally thought. So the lack of a dresser is what spurred me into action to get started on this baby girl's nursery!

After getting bummed about not having the essential piece of furniture we needed, aka the dresser, I headed out to Jarman Antiques in Northport. I walked around for a while and really only found this one close to the right size. However, I did not want red so I knew I would have to paint it, and I didn't want to spend $300 for something I would have to invest more time and money into. Plus, while the height was right, it was a little on the small side.


But as I was leaving, the girl working asked if I was looking for anything in particular and I told her I was. She pointed me to this little beauty by the cash register that I missed on my initial walk-through. Once I saw it, I knew this was that piece of furniture we would build our nursery around. :)


So I text the hubby a picture of it and asked his opinion. He seemed to like it, although most of the time, he just says "if that's what you want..." He's good to me like that ;) Anywho, we decided on it right then and there so the nice people loaded it for me and I was on my way. Oh, btw, we paid $300 for it, which was more that we wanted to spend, especially since we thought we were going to use the freebie from Matt's dad. But I figure this is a piece she will be able to use for years; and/or it could always find it's place in another room in our house. (You know I like versatility!)


Please ignore the random paint samples on the wall. I did finally pick a color though! :)
 So once we got it in the room, it helped create some sort of vision for the nursery. I decided that I wanted to paint the walls a light grey and use lots of white accents to make it feel crisp and airy. That will also flow with the house and won't scream "nursery." We already have the white daybed and the crib will be white so this won't be too hard to accomplish.

While doing some online shopping at Pottery Barn several days ago, I ran across a sale they were having on their natural fiber rugs. Well, I'm not sure if you would count what I was doing as online shopping - I basically find things I really like, add them to my shopping cart, but never go back to purchase them. Does anyone else do that, or is it just me? ;)

But, like I said, they were having a pretty good sale on some rugs and I decided on this round 6' jute rug. I felt like a round rug would complement all of the straight lines in the room and I am loving how it looks. It also adds a nice texture to the room. It was on sale for $129 and I had a coupon for free shipping - much better than this smaller, more expensive one from Anthropologie and the jute rug will work in any room in this house and future house(s).

These aren't the best quality photos because I just snapped them on my iPhone while I was home for lunch one day. :)





Waylon checking out the new rug, which I've already found him breaking in nicely ;)

The big empty space between the 2 rocking chairs will be the crib, once it comes in. Also, be on the lookout for a post on those 2 rockers and the fact that I only paid $14 for both of them!

Just fyi, we ordered the white Jenny Lind crib which is actually just like the crib in this picture of the bedding I'm seriously considering:


The crib has great reviews and I love the antique feel of it with the white spindles. The bedding is by Rikshaw design and the set, which includes the quilt, crib skirt, and bumper, is actually discontinued. I found it on sale here at Polka Dot Peacock, but since it's discontinued and on sale, it's a final sale item which cannot be returned. It's still a little pricey but I haven't been able to find anything else I really like (I'm not a huge fan of pink and that makes it very difficult to find little girl bedding).

So once the crib is delivered the room will really start to feel like a nursery! :)

Hope everyone's weekend was lovely and Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. The nursery will be precious! I love it and all of your finds!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment or become a follower of my blog! Thanks so much!